What do I mean when I say that Corey Booker has more than one path to the senate? After all junior New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez was re-elected for another six year term in the general election of 2012 and only Senator Frank Lautenberg’s current term is up in 2014. But much has been unfolding since Corey Booker filed his paperwork for the 2014 senate run:
- Early Week of Sunday January 20, 2013 – Lautenberg’s jokingly compares Booker’s run to that of a child.
- Thursday, January 24, 2013 – Reported online that FBI investigation of Senator Menendez has been going on since August for prostitution.
- Quinnipiac University shows Newark mayor Cory Booker is preferred over incumbent N. J. senator Frank Lautenberg for U.S. Senate in 2014 by more than half of New Jersey Democrats.
- Tuesday January 29, 2013 – “It’s just exceptionally aggressive,” Lautenberg said of Booker’s plan to run for his Senate seat, during a chat with a handful of Capitol Hill reporters.
- Tuesday January 29, 2013 – FBI raids doctor’s office tied to Senator Bob Menendez
- Wednesday, January 30, 2013 – Twitchy blog posts Menendez comment from last year about his judgment of public employees that engage in prostitution.
What this all means
With the obvious potential outcomes bubbling under the surface, Cory Booker may have two paths to the Senate: either a Democratic primary election gateway via challenging other potential candidates (which may or may not include Lautenberg) for Lautenberg’s seat or a second path via a special election for Menendez’s seat. No legal action has been placed on Senator Menendez nor has he voluntarily resigned or has stated any future plans to resign. However families, and real people are involved and any public figure who has had their humanity exposed is sometimes doing a great thing to step into the private life for healing and assessment of choices made.
Jesus said: “and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”, Luke 12:48, NIV 1984. We expect a lot from our politicians and many times in their humanity they have disappointed us. 1 Timothy 2 states that we should pray for our leaders : “Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority,”, NKJV. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much (John 5:16, NKJV). Our state of New Jersey is small in size but large in financial burden with high property taxes, car insurance and cost of living. We care to elect the candidate that will advocate sincerely the socioeconomic and cultural interests of our state. And I personally care for ethics and a moral conscience. I have learned that building character and leveraging your preparation years in critical before you assume a commitment. Jesus prepared 30 years for 3 years of ministry.
As this story unfolds I know truth will continue to bubble to the surface. But what Bob Menendez, Cory Booker, Frank Lautenberg and all the potential democratic and republican candidates need to know is that when we embrace the real truth, it sets us free(John 8:32).